As a High School student my life revolved around student ministry. After all of these years I continue to maintain relationships with the friends God provided. There are men who I continue to view as mentors in my life which were men who discipled me through student ministry as a High School student. I greatly value the impact of student ministry.
According to Katy ISD there are currently 10 High School campuses in our community. Our community is full of students. As it should be, student ministry is a very important part of the churches around our area. We are regularly blessed to see first-time guest families join us on a Sunday morning with their Junior High and High School students. Whether they ask or not, the question is written on their foreheads. They are looking, searching, and listening to figure out what Crossings Community has for their students.
5 Thoughts on Student Ministry at Crossings Community:
- Our prayer is for ministry entrepreneurs. God began this local church with 8 people gathered around a living room. God has called and provided the leaders for every aspect of His church in His perfect time. Children’s Ministry? Yes, only because God called and equipped leaders to lead. Small Groups? Yes, only because God called and equipped leaders to lead. Prayer Ministry? Yes….. you get the idea. God will create His student ministry at Crossings Community in just the same way.
- Our strategy is up-stream. We have no desire to be the loudest, brightest, and coolest at anything we do. High School students will not be separated from their family during worship for their own over-stimulating show of pyrotechnics. We see a student ministry in which students love to worship with the beautifully diverse body of Christ (alongside their family, where possible). We see small group environments where students are able to discuss and apply truth in community with other students.
- Our focus is the home. No one with the word ‘pastor’ or ‘minister’ in their title is the answer to raising children well. We see a student ministry that invests deeply in the parents call to disciple their children as the primary faith-trainer in their homes. Where parents are absent, we will gladly love and disciple any student while praying relentless for gospel transformation in their home.
- Our value is relationships. Regardless of age, relationships bring life change. We see God providing ministry entrepreneurs who are willing to swim up-stream, focus on the home, and invest deeply in relationships with students. This calling demands time and intention along with a great passion for prayer. We see an environment where students are loved well through intentional time spent with adults who are speaking the truth into their lives and asking God to bring gospel transformation that will carry them through college, young career, marriage, and into maturity.
- Our posture is patience. My daughter is a 7th grader. Currently, this conversation impacts my home more than any other in the church. Still, we remain confident in God’s vision for Crossings Community and believe that He will provide the leaders and students at the perfect moment. He has proven faithful in His provision every step of the way through our journey as His church and this will be no different. Today, we wait and pray for God to raise and send workers for His harvest that He is reaping through Crossings Community amidst our land.
Questions: Will you join us in prayer for these people and this vision? How has God called you to participate in His move through this area of ministry?